Friday, October 12, 2012

New Beginnings

There have been some significant changes in my life in the past three months, and I am starting this blog as a part of those changes.   Three months ago, my fiance, whom I had been with for six years, left me.   Talk about devastating.   Thankfully, I had started seeing a wonderful therapist about a month beforehand, and she has really helped me work through the worst of the pain and grief.   Of course, I still find myself randomly missing him and bursting into tears at probably the most inopportune times, but I am working through it. 

I wanted to start this blog as a way to share my new life.  I am now solely focusing on myself, and reconnecting with the person that I am.  I kind of lost myself in the past several years.  This, unfortunately, has caused me to fall into a depression, and was one of the reasons I began therapy again when I did.  Now that I am beginning to work through some things, and beginning to really understand who I am, I need to do something to keep things in focus.  Hence, this blog.   There are several aspects of my life that I really want to focus on.  Those are my new found love of cooking, getting back into a work out routine and losing the 70 lbs I put on in the past several years, rediscoving my faith, and creating a future for myself that truely makes me happy.  So, Eat, Pray, Run, Dream.  


I have a few goals I would like to accomplish by the end of October.  My first goal is to abstain from drinking for the rest of the month.  I have been doing quite a bit of drinking in the last few months, and seeing as how alcoholism runs in my family, I don't want my drinking to develop into a significant problem.  I know this will be a challenge for me, but I am hoping by using this blog, my therapy sessions, working out, and leaning on my faith, I can stay away from alcohol.  By taking things one day at a time I think I will be strong enough to complete this goal. 

My second goal is to get back into the gym at least four days a week.  It is so much easier for me to workout in the morning before work than to go afterwards, so my biggest challenge with this is getting out of bed at 5AM.  I know I can do it though, since I have done it in the past.  I have also signed up to run a half marathon a little less than a year from now, and since I have commited financially, I am motivated to train and be able to run that type of distance.  I know once I start working out on a regular basis, the weight I want to lose will start falling off.  I have a pretty good handle on my nutrition, and have been making an effort to incorporate fruits and/or vegetables into every meal and snack, and to eat whole grains and lean proteins.  I do still have my cheats though, and it really is all about moderation.  =)

The last goal I am going to write about today is one that has to do with my financial health.  Luckily, I was able to recently make a decision that will help me get my bills caught up, get new tires for my car, buy my plane ticket to Kansas for Thanksgiving, and set some money aside into savings for any emergencies.  I also am planning on doing what I call a stock up.  I am going to be stocking my freezer and pantry with anything I may need in the next several months, as well as cooking and freezing individual size portions of meals.   I am hoping by doing this I can keep my grocery bill around $100 for the next four months or so, giving me the opportunity to save even more money.   Being on my own for the first time in six years has proved to be a struggle financially, but I know if I am smart and frugal, I can live comfortably.    Fortunately, my mom is a great role model for living on a budget, and should I need advice, I know I can always turn to her.

That's it for now.  I will be adding some more goals soon enough, and I hope you enough reading about my journey!




No comments:

Post a Comment